Monday, January 24, 2011

Is Plus Size "One Size?"

I came across this video on Facebook and wanted to get your take on it. At the Just My Size style symposium that happened in NYC this fall, a few of my favorite bloggers were asked to address the question, "Is Plus Size One Size?"



Those of us who fall into that particular category may feel one way or another about the term "plus size." It doesn't bother me, personally, but I do think that a lot of less understanding brands who attempt to offer plus sizes look at all of us as one size.

Think about the spreads that a lot of mainstream magazines put together, showing how to dress different body types. They typically showcase a variety of body types like straight up and down, large bust, curvy hips...and then they'll throw in the very general "plus size".

That's nice and all, but I'm not just plus size. I'm plus size with curvy hips and a small bust. Oftentimes, I'll find the token plus- size suggestions to be less helpful than the more specific advice offered to those other body types. Instead, I find myself skimming over the plus size suggestions, appreciating them more for the fact that I'm seeing a plus size model in print alongside straight size models. Then I go read the style advice for the straight size model whose body best fits my proportions, adapting it to better fit my size.

What are your thoughts? Do you understand your own body shape? Or do you choose clothes simply by what fits?

No comments: